“You are a person worthy of love, you are capable and able!” This is a phrase I have adopted saying to myself whenever I am having self doubt or low confidence. Self-love is putting yourself first, giving yourself grace, and knowing that you are worthy of good things in life. Here are five simple things you can do to increase your self-love and feel more confident in who you are!
1. Positive Self Affirmations: Positive self talk aids in helping a person to have positive self image. Speaking positively about yourself, your life, and your future can have you love and appreciating yourself more. An example of positive self affirmation is “I am a good person and I am capable of doing good deeds!” Put these positive self affirmations on sticky notes. Put them around the house in places where you can see them to remind yourself to recite a positive self affirmation regularly!
2. Practice Self Care: What is something you love to do? Something you enjoy doing and find so much pleasure when doing? It may be knitting, doing your hair, dancing, cooking, singing, drawing, or doing makeup! Whatever it is, find a way to do it regularly! Self care is taking care of yourself and indulging in behaviors and activities that are safe, pleasurable and fulfilling! You are your biggest fan and your first best friend is yourself. Take yourself out on a date. Care for yourself the way you would like a spouse or a friend to care for you.
3. Stop comparing yourself: One of my favorite quotes is from the Bible. It says in Galatians 6:4-5 “Each of you must examine your own actions. Then you can be proud of your own accomplishments without comparing yourself to others. Assume your own responsibility.” Theodore Roosevelt once said “comparison is the thief of joy!” These are things I have found to be true. When you compare yourself to anyone you take energy from yourself and put that energy into another person! You are literally giving that a person a little bit of power over how you perceive yourself! No one can tell you who you are or what you are worth EXCEPT YOU! Assert your power by avoiding comparison. When doubt tries to creep in your mind or a negative thought tries to creep in, uplift yourself and remind yourself that your only competition is yourself!
4. Exercise Boldness in public: Be confident and speak your mind when the opportunity presents itself. Sometimes you have to force yourself at your comfort zone in order to boost your confidence. If you are a naturally timid or shy person this will be very difficult but it is still very possible. Say what you’re thinking and do not be complacent! Learn how to express yourself respectfully and boldly.
5. Make Strict Boundaries: Boundaries setting is so important. Do not sacrifice your comfort for anybody. If someone is bringing negativity and lowering your energy it may be time to let that person go. A lot of times you may allow people to have a space in your life even though their time has expired. Making strict boundaries looks different for everyone. Boundaries may include: Learning how to say no; Learning how to walk away from the situation; and learning when enough is enough.
Takeaway: Increasing self-love is a process! It’s a process that should be practice every day. When you love yourself you can love others. These 5 tips will assist you towards increased self love!